Spicy fried chicken sandwiches are all the rage right now! After trying some of the popular fast food ones I decided we just needed make some at home. It was super easy and turned out fabulous!
Here’s what you’ll need:
(Makes 4 sandwiches)
2 Chicken breast
1 cup Buttermilk
3/4 cup Flour
1/2 cup Corn starch
Spices ( 1 TBS each paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, black pepper)
Pickles (& Jalapeños, optional), for serving
- First you need to pound the chicken out to 1/2 inch thickness. You can use two pieces of parchment paper, a large ziplock bag, or plastic wrap. Cut each chicken breast in half crosswise to make two small pieces about the same size of the bun.
- In large bowl add buttermilk, a few splashes of hot sauce( I used Fresno) and dash of spices- I used Sazon and Adobo which are basically garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, salt and black pepper. Add the chicken and either use right away or place in the fridge to marinate up to 24 hours.
- Heat oil in pan to 350 degrees.
- In medium bowl mix the four, cornstarch, and spices together. Add 2-3 tablespoons of the buttermilk batter to the four and mix with fork to break clumps down. THIS IS KEY!!
- 1 piece at a time dredge the chicken in the flour mixture, pressing flour on chicken to form a nice thick crust. Let them rest a minute before placing in oil. Transfer chicken to hot oil and fry 3-5 minutes per side or until the outside is crispy and golden and the internal temp reaches 165 degrees.
- Make the mayo spread by adding 1/2 cup mayo with 1 TBS hot sauce, tsp paprika and 1/2 tsp garlic powder.
- To assemble- toast your buns a little, spread the mayo on both sides, top with chicken and pickles and enjoy! Add jalapeños for an extra spicy version. I highly recommend Pangea Ferments spicy pickles and jalapeños! Not only are they delicious but they’re fresh and have tons of probiotics! Just when you thought this sandwich couldn’t get better, add some probiotic goodness and now it’s basically health food right!? Enjoy spicy friends!