- -1 pound medium-small shrimp, peeled and deveined
- -3/4 cup lime juice (juice from 4-6 limes)
- -3/4 cup lemon juice (juice from 2-3 lemons)
- -1 cup finely chopped red onion
- -1 serrano chile, ribs and seeds removed, minced
- -1 cup chopped cilantro
- -3-5 radish, cuut into slices
- -1 avocado, peeled, seed removed, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- -1/2 cup diced pineapple chunks (optional) also optional: 1 cucumber, diced in 1/2 inch cubes, 2-4 tomatoes, diced, celery
- -Pepper Sauces! I used Watemelon ‘Peño and Roasted Garlic Habanero but Tropical Hab would have been wonderful in this as well!
- *For the Aioli: 1 cup mayo, 2 Tbsp. Fresno or Tropical Hab pepper sauce, 1 lime, juice. Mix together and set aside to top tostada.
There’s a couple ways you can make your ceviche. Traditionally you put raw shrimp in a bowl, add lime/lemon juice and allow the citrus to cook the shrimp before eating. If you’re worried about your shrimp cooking all the way through you could give it a quick dip in boiling water before letting it sit and finishing cooking in lime juice. So, method 1:
- Cut shrimp in half or leave whole. Place shrimp in a glass bowl and cover with lime juice to marinate (or ‘cook’) for about 10- 30 minutes, or until they turn pink and opaque.
Or method 2:
- In a large pot, bring to a boil 2 quarts of water, salted with 1 tablespoons salt. Add the shrimp and cook for 1 minute to 2 minutes max, depending on size of shrimp. (Over-cooking the shrimp will turn it rubbery.) Remove shrimp with a slotted spoon and place into a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking. Drain the shrimp. Cut each piece of shrimp in half, or into inch-long pieces. Place the shrimp in a glass or ceramic bowl. Mix in the lime and lemon juice. Cover and refrigerate for a half hour.
- Meanwhile, place the onion, pepper, radish, pineapple, and pepper sauces in a separate glass or ceramic bowl. When ready, remove shrimp from lime juice mixture with a slotted spoon, reserving liquid and add to second bowl. Refrigerate an additional half hour.
- Right before serving add the cilantro and avocado, a little of the leftover lime juice mix and salt to taste. Toss gently to mix
- Toast tostadas, smear some spicy aioli on it and top with ceviche mix